The Roman Catholic Church in southwestern Nova Scotia has filed a lawsuit against two Acadian groups trying to save a huge, deconsecrated church.

Heritage Saint-Bernard • December 15, 2024

The Roman Catholic Church in southwestern Nova Scotia has filed a lawsuit against two Acadian groups trying to save a huge, deconsecrated church.

by Jean LeBlanc | Président – Société Héritage Saint-Bernard

14 December 2024


From CBC news Dec 14th, 2024


The Roman Catholic Church in southwestern Nova Scotia has filed a lawsuit against two Acadian groups trying to save a huge, deconsecrated church.


The Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation of Yarmouth says Heritage Saint Bernard and Nation Prospère Acadie Inc. have fallen behind in their mortgage payments and owe $200,000 for their purchase last year of the former Saint Bernard Church.


The massive building in St. Bernard, N.S., is a historic landmark along the province's Acadian shore.

Construction began in 1910 under the leadership of Rev. Edouard LeBlanc, who in 1912 became the Roman Catholic Church's first-ever Acadian bishop.


The 1,300-square-metre church southwest of Digby, N.S., opened in 1942 after local workmen spent three decades assembling the massive structure from 8,000 granite blocks. But the years have taken a toll on the building, and the number of people attending mass shrunk to the point where the church was closed in 2022.


The surrounding parish in the Municipality of Clare now includes about 250 people. The church used to seat more than 1,000 people during a weekend mass.


"It's hard enough to try to save this building without the diocese putting sticks in our wheels," Jean LeBlanc, president of Heritage Saint Bernard, said in an interview Friday. "It's been an iconic structure on the shores of St. Marys Bay. We're trying to repurpose it for the community and the diocese is saying, 'No, we want it back.'"


LeBlanc said the two groups succeeded in making the first $50,000 mortgage payment in July 2023, but they failed to pay the next $50,000 instalment in August 2024. He said the groups had raised another $40,000, but much of that money was used to repair the building's doors and leaking roof.


"If we didn't spend that $40,000, we couldn't have gotten in the church," LeBlanc said, adding that local residents remain worried it will eventually be sold off and possibly demolished.


At a meeting in May with Archbishop Brian Joseph Dunn, the groups asked to renegotiate the mortgage. Those requests led nowhere and the corporation filed its lawsuit with the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia on Oct. 30.

On Friday, the archdiocese issued a statement saying it had received more than 100 offers for the property, which it valued at $250,000. The statement says the non-profits were chosen as the winning bidder because "it would be a means to preserve the building and its historic and cultural value to the Acadian people."


The statement goes on to say Dunn made the decision after consulting with the local parish, which would get the money from the sale.


"Because this money goes directly to the local community in Clare through ... the local parish, the archdiocese could not accept less than the amount originally agreed upon," the statement says. "After reaching out to [the non-profits] and waiting several months for payment to be made, it was decided to take legal action."


LeBlanc said the two groups are still seeking more time to pay or easier terms. "We were trying to negotiate with them, but they kept saying, no, no, no," he said. "I don't know why they want to do something like this."


LeBlanc said the next step is finding a lawyer. "We're hoping to avoid going to court because that would be a very long and expensive process," he said. "Hopefully, we can reach a settlement."


Contacts


Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth

1559 Brunswick St., Suite 101

Halifax, Nova Scotia

B3J 2G1

https://halifaxyarmouth.org/contact-us

www.facebook.com/HalifaxYarmouth

P: (902) 429-9800  F: (902) 425-0997

Hours: Monday to Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm


Paroisse Notre Dame d'Acadie

8274 Highway 1, PO Box 159

Meteghan N-É B0W 2J0

Telephone: (902) 645-2412

Fax: (902) 769-2407

secretariat.ndacadie@gmail.com


Jean LeBlanc, Président, Société Héritage Saint-Bernard

3623 Route 1 Saint Bernard N.E. B0W 3T0

Tél. : (902) 841-0148 Courriel : heritagesaintbernard@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/heritagesaintbernard


Photo Trevor Jones

Comments

This article has been reprinted from our Facebook page. To keep the comment stream in one place, please visit this Facebook post:

En savoir plus / Further Reading

By Heritage Saint-Bernard March 14, 2025
Partagez vos souvenirs / Share your memories 14 mars 2025
By Heritage Saint-Bernard January 19, 2025
Update January 19, 2025 By Jean LeBlanc | Président – Société Héritage Saint-Bernard January 19, 2025 In 2023 the Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth decided to offer what had been the Saint Bernard church for sale with an asking price of $250,000. They indicated they had received many enquiries and a certain number of offers. They determined at that time that Nation Prospère, a not-for-profit organization from New Brunswick, would be chosen as the eventual purchaser. Nation Prospère’s plans included partnering with the local community in its efforts to save Saint Bernard, and so a representative from the local parish organized a meeting between Nation Prospère and Héritage Saint Bernard. While recognizing the difficult task that saving Saint Bernard would entail, both societies concluded that by pooling their resources there would be a greater chance of success. Héritage Saint-Bernard and Nation Prospère finalized the purchase of Saint Bernard with the archdiocese in July 2023. This consisted of an initial upfront payment of $50,000, followed by four yearly payments of $50,000 plus interest due on August 31st annually. By the spring of 2024 it was clear that fundraising efforts, which had raised approximately $40,000, would fall short of the anticipated needs. It was determined that essential repairs to the roof, doors, water system, emergency lighting and fire response systems would take precedence. This needed to be done in order to open Saint Bernard to the public for the first time in four years and prepare it for the World Acadian Congress activities. Further fund-raising efforts had not been successful to generate ample funds for the upcoming annual payment and at the same time ensure sufficient funds would be held for important maintenance still required. It was hoped that the archdiocese would be open to renegotiating the remaining debt as there are recent examples of other surplus churches being either offered or sold to community groups for one dollar. In May 2024, Daniel LeBlanc from Nation Prospère met with Archbishop Dunn in Halifax on behalf of both societies to explain the financial situation. From this meeting, it was shared by Archbishop Dunn, that should the local parish (Notre Dame d'Acadie) agree to forgive the debt the diocese would agree with that decision as money from the sale of Saint Bernard was being directed to the local parish. Both Nation Prospère and Héritage Saint-Bernard were encouraged that a resolution to the issue could be achieved allowing them to put efforts towards the significant repairs still required for the building to be open to the public for the upcoming season after the winter period. Héritage Saint-Bernard sent a letter to Notre Dame d’Acadie in Clare explaining the financial position position and asking for the debt to be forgiven. The society also stated that they would prefer to meet with them at their convenience to be able to discuss face to face should they have any questions or concerns. No meeting options were offered, and no meeting took place, instead a letter dated July 2, 2024 was received from the Archdiocese stating that they expected both societies to keep their commitment for the next payment of some $54,489.82 due August 31, 2024. Héritage Saint Bernard responded with another letter on August 4th, 2024 again explaining the difficult financial position. That communication also included a request to meet the Archdiocese and the parish to see if some sort of agreement could be achieved and offered alternatives for them to consider. Unfortunately, there was no response from either the Archdiocese or the local parish until Aug 26, 2024 when the Archdiocese issued a letter via a lawyer. This letter sent on behalf of the Archdiocese of Halifax - Yarmouth in part stated, “…in the event of a default the full amount outstanding will be due and payable under the Promissory Note.” The Archdiocese also indicated they were prepared to realize on the security established by the Mortgage. Nothing further was communicated by the Archdiocese or Notre Dame d'Acadie, and unknown to both Héritage Saint-Bernard and Nation Prospère on Oct 30, 2024, the Archdiocese had launched legal action against both societies. It was not until Dec 2, 2024 that a Notice of Action was delivered to the societies indicating that the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation of Yarmouth was taking legal action against them. While it certainly can be considered morally unjust that a Corporation having contributed nothing to the construction or maintenance of Saint Bernard, is taking those who were attempting to save and repurpose Saint Bernard for the betterment of the community to court, it is the case. The renovations, repairs, art sales, displays, concerts, family reunions and opening the doors to approximately 6500 members of the public in the limited time Saint Bernard was open, are all something Héritage Saint-Bernard and Nation Prospère can reflect upon as small successes for the community. However, legally there is no winning course against this legal action unless $200 000 can be paid to the Archdiocese. Héritage Saint Bernard, after having its volunteer society members deliberate and vote regarding a resolution to advise its legal representative to begin the process of returning the ownership of Saint Bernard to the Archdiocese, see this as the only course of action to cease increased legal costs that will become their additional financial burden. In the past, the Archdiocese has stated they would place Saint Bernard for sale once again. Héritage Saint-Bernard can only hope that any future owners wish to keep Saint Bernard whole and make it an asset for the community once again instead of other potential outcomes such as deconstruction in order for someone to benefit from the sale of its parts. On behalf of the volunteer community members of Société Héritage Saint-Bernard, thank you for all your support in the past, present and in the future. Jean LeBlanc Président – Société Héritage Saint-Bernard
By Heritage Saint-Bernard January 19, 2025
Mise à jour du 19 janvier 2025
By Heritage Saint-Bernard December 16, 2024
Une vidéo réutilisée avec de Radio Canada / 16 décembre 2024
More Posts